Wednesday 10 July 2013

My Bonnie lies over the ocean

This is a traditional Scottish folk song – there are several verses, but the first verse works well around a camp-fire to get people moving. It also has the advantage of being a well known tune.

This song is brought to you, in ‘Sesame Street’ fashion, by the letter B. Whenever you get to a word that starts with the letter B, if you’re standing up, you sit down, and if you’re already sitting down, you stand up again.

Once you’ve run through it once, you can split the circle into two or four parts and start alternate sections off seated and standing. I did manage eight parts at a large fire once, though it does make you feel quite seasick to watch!



My Bonnie lies over the ocean,
My Bonnie lies over the sea,
My Bonnie lies over the ocean,
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.

Bring back, bring back,

Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me, to me,
Bring back, bring back,
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment